Coinciding with ‘s return to the subcontinent, footage has emerged of West Indian great Viv Richards again condemning n cricketers for racism and double standards.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

Richards said that even in the rough and tumble of international sport, some vehicles for provocations were not acceptable: race and religion, for two. “The Aussies can be very, very rude,” he said. “I have no regrets in saying this: there are times they overstep boundaries.”

Richards was speaking at a media and marketing seminar in Goa, in the west of India, in April. It was soon after a fascinating and sometimes aggravated visit to India by for a series won 2-1 by the home team.

Richards widened his critique. “One of the things that hurts me more than anything else, especially with the introduction of the IPL, [is that] a lot of these guys are coming to this part of the world to earn a living,” he said. “If there’s one advice I would give to those guys, [it’s] never try and curse the hand that feeds you.”

Richards said he would support yellow and red cards in cricket for certain offences.

Richards often has made clear his disgust at the attitude of and England towards the West Indies in his time, which he felt was white supremacy manifest. It burns within him still. Speaking in Goa, he even said that his then unorthodox preparedness to hit across the line was born partly of a determination not to be told by the English what to do, as his Caribbean forbears were. In Goa, this was well-received.

He again told of the shock of his teammates when they arrived in England in 1977 and heard England captain Tony Greig say on television that England would make the West Indies “grovel”.

“The meeting is over,” declared captain Clive Lloyd. No more motivation would be needed. But Richards gives Greig credit for getting down on his knees at the end of the series, recognising the West Indies mastery and his own tactlessness.

Evidently, not every aspect of n culture offended Richards. He also told of a moment after scoring a century at Perth’s Gloucester Park during World Series Cricket when he was approached by “this wonderful creature, dressed in her birthday suit”, asking him to autograph her chest. Richards said he was usually slapdash about his autograph. “But for the very first time in my signing career,” he said, “I dotted my ‘i’s.”


SMOOTH OPERATOR: Edgeworth’s Kieran Sanders has given the three-time premiers another dimension in attack. Picture: Simone De PeakIN a grand final featuring former internationals and national league stars, little-known Englishman KieranSanders wants to be the best player on the park come Saturday night at McDonald Jones Stadium.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

And given the Edgeworth attacker’s form after a disrupted start to the Northern NSW National Premier League season, coach Damian Zane and many others won’t be surprised if he is.

The 25-year-old came from Far North Queensland Heat this year but missed Edgeworth’s opening games because of a suspension from a final-round brawl.

Sanders has since added to the Eagles’strike power and was a standout in the epic semi-final win over Magic last Saturday night.

While the headline acts this week will be Edgeworth striker Daniel McBreen and Lambton Jaffas stars Jobe Wheelhouse and Ryan and Joel Griffiths, Zane was looking for another touch of class from Sanders in a crunch game.

Sanders scored three goals and set up Edgeworth’s other in a 4-2FFA Cup win over Hamilton this year to announce himself as a force to be reckoned with.

“He gets on the scoresheet but he also brings other players into the game,” Zane said.“In the big games we’ve had, he’s been great, and I think his match at Darling Street was probably the best I’ve seen from someone in an Edgeworth shirt.

“He was amazing, and he’s just so tough. He has two or three blokes running at him and it doesn’t bother him.”

Sanders, whoscored in a 3-2 grand final loss to Redlands last year in Queensland, was keen to rise to the occasion for Edgeworth.

“I started off slow with my five-week ban and I had a little knee injury as well, but I think I’ve started to perform with the big games coming up,” he said. “I want to be the best player on the park, so hopefully that continues.”

Sanderswas playing non-league level at home in Oxford before coming to and made the trip to change his life in and out of football.

Although realistic about his chances, he has not given up on playing at a higher level and was hoping to make an impression on Saturday.

“If it came along I’d obviously bite its hand off,” he said of an opportunity to play professionally.

“But I had my chances when I was younger and I messed them up.But if it came along, I’d 100 per cent love to play professionally, but I’m just focused on Edgeworth and trying to win the grand final for them and see what offers I get next season.”

He is yet to re-sign but hopes to extend his visa and stay at Edgeworth.

“The intensity is always there, people are getting stuck in attraining.It’s always a battle, beforeyou evencome up against a team on the weekend,” he said of the Eagles.“It’s a good crack and the banter is flowing.Zaney has us organised, so I really enjoy it. It’s really professional.”

Sanders is working to overcome two corks in his thigh to be fit for the grand final but said he was in no doubt.

“Obviously it’s going to be a tough game, it’s the biggest game of the year and they’ve got Jobe Wheelhouse back in their team and Luke Remington who’s a really dangerous player in my eyes,” he said.

“So obviously we’ve got to keep them quiet and not let Jobe dictate the game and play at the pace they want to play at.”

As for the difference between the Queensland NPL and the Northern NSW version, Sanders said: “It’s a massive difference, the football is more intense down here, more physical, there’s better players in the league.

“You’ve got all those ex-A-League players as well. It’s definitely a better league, I’d say.”

Astonemason by trade, Sanders is working at Edgeworth treasurer Warren Mills’ Newcastle Sheetmetal business and hopes to stay in for another year or two.


Discarded All Blacks winger Julian Savea has revealed he fell out of love with rugby this year but says he is determined to earn his spot back with another season at the Hurricanes despite speculation he would leave the franchise.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

Savea, an ambassador for the Brisbane Global Rugby 10s tournament, was sensationally left out of Steve Hansen’s All Blacks squad for the Rugby Championship.

The 27-year-old has scored 46 tries in just 54 Tests for New Zealand, putting him 11th on the all-time list.

After a below-par year for the Hurricanes, Savea has opened up about the toughest year of his stellar career to date.

“I can believe I’m not in there,” Savea said. “The boys are in form and the guys in the position deserve their spot. As you saw in the last two Tests, they have proved why they’re there.

“It was more about not really enjoying rugby. I’m not sure if you could tell that by the way I played but I know I need to get back to why I play this game and what drives me.

“The motivation is even greater. I just want to bring enjoyment back to rugby.

“You’ve got to be on top of your game, always. There’s no time to switch off and I’ve switched off quite a bit.

“I ain’t ruling myself out anytime soon. I know I’ve got a lot of stuff to work on and I’m excited by the challenge. Initially I was disappointed but I’m happy now to sit back and reflect on where I am and excited about the challenge to get back in the team.”

Reports indicated Savea was thinking about utilising a clause in his contract to leave the Hurricanes, but the man known in rugby circles as “the bus” confirmed he would stay at the club and play at the 10s tournament in February next year.

“I’ve decided to stay with the ‘Canes,” Savea said. “There was a lot of things I had to weigh up with everything that’s happened. I think the ‘Canes is probably the best thing for me and it’s where my heart is.

“I’m definitely playing [in Brisbane]. Last year I wanted to play but we weren’t allowed. It looks quite exciting, fast, physical, a little bit of sevens, a little bit of 15s which is good. I love that stuff. It’s a growing tournament and it was a success last year.”

Savea was driving to a mate’s house during the first 20 minutes of Saturday’s Test between the Wallabies and All Blacks and it is safe to say he was shocked to see leading 17-0 after 15 minutes.

“I turned up and saw the score and I was like: ‘wow, this is going to be a good Test’,” Savea said. “I was a little surprised and good on them, it was a hell of a Test to watch.

“It shows why the All Blacks are one of the best teams in the world; to be able to come back late in the game and score that try. Credit to the Aussies, they’ve got things to look forward to.”


INFLUENTIAL: Leading player agent Gavin Orr is greeted by client and Knights five-eighth Brock Lamb at the club’s headquarters on Tuesday.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

KNIGHTS coach Nathan Brown expects the next two months to be busy despite already declaring 2017 a success on the recruitment front.

The Knights have secured Kalyn Ponga, Tautau Moga, HermanEse’ese, Connor WatsonandAidan Guerra for next season and are awaiting an answer from Adam Blair.

The Broncos hard man has been offered a lucrative three-year deal but is also being pursued by the Dragons and Warriors.

“We thought he was going to make a decision over the weekend but it hasn’t happened yet,” Brown said. “It is not like it is a rush for us. If it is going to happen, it will happen.”

Leading player managerGavinOrr was in town on Tuesday and metwithKnightshead of football Darren Mooney.

Orr looks after a string of Knights including off-contract duo Lachlan Fitzgibbon and Jaelen Feeney.

“All the guys and managers know where they are at,” Brown said. “If they are not signed at the moment, that doesn’t mean some of them won’t get signed.”

Brown confirmed that Cronulla utility Gerard Beale was among a host of players the Knights are interested in.

Nathan Brown confirms interest in Gerard Beale. @[email protected]苏州夜总会招聘/oVXlLGKP9q

— James Gardiner (@JamesGardiner42) August 29, 2017

“He certainly ticks a lot of boxes,” Brown said. “He is playing in a team in the top four and one of the favourites to win the grand final. He would certainly add to our squad.We are in a position of strength toget into the market if something comes up good for us. The next month or two will be a busy time for us on that front.”


Jakarta: US mining giant Freeport McMoRan has signalled it believes a breakthrough agreement allowing it to continue operating a massive gold and copper mine in Indonesia will win the approval of Rio Tinto.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

Indonesian Energy and Minister Resources Minister Ignasius Jonan said on Tuesday that after “tough negotiations” Freeport had agreed to give up its majority stake in the Grasberg mine to Indonesia.

The agreement will require Freeport to cut its ownership of the mine from 90.64 per cent to 49 per cent, provide more state revenue, adopt a special licence and build a second smelter by 2022.

Freeport’s chief executive Richard Adkerson said the mining company would need to obtain approval for any changes from Rio Tinto, which has been a partner in the operations in Papua, a restive eastern province of Indonesia, since the mid-1990s.

“We have been working with Rio Tinto on a co-operative basis as Freeport has represented these operations with the government,” Mr Adkerson said in Jakarta.

He said his own view was that if Freeport viewed the changes as appropriate and beneficial it would be able to obtain Rio Tinto’s agreement.

Fairfax Media sought comment from Rio Tinto.

Grasberg is the world’s second-largest copper mine.

Rio Tinto is entitled to a 40 per cent share of output from Grasberg above specific levels until 2021 and 40 per cent of all production after 2021.

However the company indicated in April it might not take ownership of 40 per cent of copper production after 2021.

“Rio Tinto’s participation beyond 2021 is likely to be affected due to the application of force majeure provisions in the joint venture agreement between Rio Tinto and Freeport McMoRan,” it said at the time.

The preceding month Rio Tinto Group chief Jean-Sebastien Jacques had flagged it was considering the future of its stake in the Grasberg mine.

The mine was at the centre of violent protests in August after Freeport furloughed thousands of workers earlier this year in response to export restrictions related to the lengthy permit dispute with Indonesia.

Indonesia eventually granted a six-month permit allowing Freeport to temporarily resume copper concentrate exports, but they were at risk of being again halted when the temporary permit expired in October.

The timing and price of the divestment are yet to be resolved, with Mr Adkerson emphasising that the agreement to divest the 51 per cent stake and build a second smelter were “major” concessions.

Mr Jonan said Freeport would be able to immediately apply for a 10-year permit extension.

Its current 30-year contract at Grasberg is due to expire in four years.

“We agreed that the first extension is for 10 years and and the next one will be for 10 years,” Mr Jonan said.

“Legally they will not be automatic.”

Freeport is one of Indonesia’s largest taxpayers. It had been seeking an agreement that would run until 2041 and provide certainty for a multibillion-dollar underground expansion.

Mr Jonan said the government and Freeport would work together to immediately finalise the documentation of the agreed structure and Freeport would get the necessary corporate approval.

“The result of the negotiation is in line with President Joko Widodo’s instruction to put forward the national interest, the interest of the Papuan people, state sovereignty in managing natural resources and providing a conducive investment climate,” he said.

With Karuni Rompies