The woman accused of attacking three people with an axe at a 7-Eleven in Sydney’s inner west will go straight to trial.

Evie Amati, 25, appeared in Central Local Court on Tuesday via audio-visual link from maximum security custody, looking gaunt, with her hair in cornrow braids.

The charges against Ms Amati have been upgraded since her arrest in January, and she is now accused of wounding three people with intent to murder, and a further three charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

She briefly appeared in court to waive her right to a committal hearing, opting to go straight to trial in the NSW District Court.

Magistrate Les Mabbuttasked her if she understood the decision to forego a committal.

A screenshot from the CCTV inside the 7-Eleven at Enmore. Photo: Nine News

“Yes, I understand, your honour,” Ms Amati said, speaking from Cessnock jail.

Ms Amati will apply for Legal Aid funding, the court heard.

Police were called to the 7-Eleven on Stanmore Road at 2.25am on January 7 after Ms Amati allegedly randomly attacked two shoppers and another man outside.

CCTV vision from the store recorded the attack, showing a blonde woman carrying an axe walking in about 2.19am and wandering around the aisles.

The footage then shows the woman, who had a knife in her back pocket, speaking briefly to Benjamin Rimmer???, before swinging the axe at his face and knocking him to the ground.

The woman then swings the axe at Sharon Hacker, who is standing at the door looking through her bag after buying milk.

As Ms Hacker falls the ground, the woman hits her with the axe again and leaves.

Evie Amati allegedly attacked two people inside the 7-Eleven store. Photo: Nine News

A third person, Shane Redwood, was allegedly attacked outside the store soon after.

Police said they found Ms Amati nearby, holding an axe, and arrested her.

After the attack, Ms Hacker said paramedics told her she was saved by her thick dreadlocks.

‘[They said] If you didn’t have that hair, you wouldn’t have a head right now,’ ” Ms Hacker told Channel Seven outside hospital.

“She came in with full force and swung and hit the man across the face and then turned immediately around to me again with both hands with the axe into the back of my head. It is terrifying because you just don’t realise that these things can happen anywhere at any time.”

Ms Amati is expected to apply for bail in the NSW Supreme Court on Friday.

Comments are closed